Friday, December 16, 2005

Better late than never

Here it is, December 16, 2005 and I'm just getting my first blog up. Talk about procrastination. Better late than never.

I was going to label this blog 'Things I Hate About Advertising', but then thought better of it after considering a future employer might not hire me if they came upon the blog. After all, I work in advertising. It pays the bills. But we all know that advertising is just a pack of lies. Do we really believe that JC Penney is having a sale every single week? I mean, come on america. Use your brains for something other than sitting on. Advertising is designed to get you into the store. Once your there, the odds are that your going to buy something. And most likely, your going to buy a lot of something because the little sign above the shelf says its on sale! And why is it that when a commercial comes on the tv the volume doubles? I'll tell you why. Because they want you to hear about that sale when you walk into the kitchen to get a snack. It's all psychological. It's all manipulation. It's all a bunch of lies.

And yet, I work in advertising. Why? I don't really know anymore. I got into it because I was 'creative'. And because it payed the bills. And now I can't get out of it because I can't afford to switch careers. So I try to find other ways to overlook the evil of advertising and regain my creativity. So I scour the books and magazines for inspiration. I learn new techniques in photoshop and illustrator and flash. I take classes to learn new skills in programming. I do all of this in hope of breaking out of what has become a routine job and branching out into something new. The trouble is that, in the end, it's all pretty much the same. After all, I got to pay the bills.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home